Monday, September 27, 2010

Candy Melts vs. Baker's chocolate

So I have a question for all you baker's out there!!!

This past weekend I was making Cakeballs for my kids in Children's church and I've always used baker's chocolate to dip them in. Baker's is much smoother and easier to work with than wilton's candy melts--which i have used in the past and I used for some of the cake balls this weekend before changing to baker's. The question I have is..baker's chocolate like this picture below. does it come in different colors besides white and black?



or is there a technique or ingredient that I could add to the wilton melts to make them more flexible and smooth like the baker's chocolate?


If you have an idea, please leave me a comment below!
Thanks and have a wonderful week :)

4 comments:

  1. vegetable oil, lots of it! just keep adding it until you get the consistency you want. i dont think there are any other colors of baker's chocolate. the candy melts work great with vegetable oil ;)
    linzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use shortening in my candy melt...yes, lots of it to make it thin and smooth.
    I haven't ever seen the Baker's Chocolate in colors other than white and chocolate, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a baking supply store near you..they should have candy melt coloring...it is an oil based liquid. That is what I use to color white chocolate. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use shortening as well. I have also tried coloring white chocolate - which can be tricky, you must use the right kind of coloring or it will cause the chocolate to seize.

    ReplyDelete